Who was Hertha Ayrton
Who was Hertha Ayrton?
- Hertha Ayrton was born in Portsea in 1854
- She was one of the first women to attend Cambridge and obtained a BSc degree from the University of London in 1881 (as Cambridge weren't awarding degrees to women at this time).
- She was interested in the movement of air and water.
- She invented a fan to remove poison gas from the trenches in WWI, this was later used in mines.
- She was one of the first women to make a significant contribution to the field of electrical engineering.